Grief Toolkit & Symposium
Grief Symposium 2022
Grief Symposium: Tues., Nov. 15, noon – 2 p.m.
Join us for a series of conversations with Duke team members in which we will explore many aspects of grief, including: common grief reactions, how to support those who are grieving, professional grief, grief around loss of function or role, disenfranchised grief, rituals that may help us in the grieving process, and how to turn grief into positive action.
Panel Discussion: Wed., Nov. 16, noon – 1 p.m.
Do you have a question about grief? Perhaps you are wondering how you might best support your colleagues, friends, or family members. Or perhaps you have a question about how to best navigate grief with patients. Or perhaps you have questions about grief reactions and time frames. Tune in, and ask this panel of experts your questions.
Restorative Circles and Small Groups: Wed., Nov. 16 – Fri., Nov. 18
Restorative Circles: Join one or more small-group, confidential, highly participatory discussions and experiences on topics of grief and grief navigation:
- Personal Grief: grief about the loss of someone close to you
- Pet Grief: grief about the loss of a pet
- Gun Violence: grief related to gun violence that has directly impacted you or your loved ones
Other Small Group Activities:
- Narrative Writing: Learn how to process grief via expressive writing; use literature to explore responses to grief, and write about your experience with grief.
- Mandala Art: Create art in community as we mourn together using a mandala exercise. A handout is provided; participants need colored pencils, pens, or crayons.
- Somatic Body Work: Using the Community Resiliency Model (CRM)®, we will explore the biology of stress reactions and learn specific skills to return the body, mind, and spirit back to balance.
This toolkit was designed to provide some education and resources to help our team members understand the grief process.
Grief Symposium, Nov. 2021
Addressing Personal & Professional Grief.